Saturday 14 June 2014

Easy Windows (and Linux/OS X) HBase development environment setup

I was trying to set up a demo HBase development environments on my Windows laptop, but I ran into a number of issues trying to get HBase running as a server and also connecting to HBase using a java client.

Rather than mucking around with Windows, I decided to create a HBase environment inside a virtual machine by installing the following inside the VM:

  • Ubuntu 14.04
  • XFCE desktop (a light-weight unix desktop)
  • Eclipse java development environment.

I'm hoping this environment will also be useful even for users new to Linux, Eclipse or Java because all of the setup has been done on behalf of the user.

Rather than provide a set of manual instruction steps, I decided to use Vagrant to automate the set up steps on behalf of the user.  Vagrant is an awesome tool for setting up development environments, if you haven't tried it yet, I strongly recommend taking a look at it.

For more information, see the project page, here: https://github.com/snowch/vagrant-hbase

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    www.ADGConsulting.com.au

    ReplyDelete